Sunday, July 5, 2009

Medicine Buddha

This blog is a continual story that begins with the first posting in the Blog Archive, The Journey Begins. Click down the list to read entries, and click on arrows to reveal monthly drop-down menus.

Even before I knew that I had breast cancer, I had felt ill for months, and when I saw a film from Netflix called The Knowledge of Healing, I knew intuitively that I wanted to be treated by a Tibetan amchi, or physician. All Tibetan amchis are connected to a Tibetan deity named the Medicine Buddha.
His radiant body is azure blue. His left hand is in the meditation mudra and holds a begging bowl full of long life nectar in his lap. As a sign that he gives protection from illness, his right hand is outstretched in the gesture of giving and holds the "great medicine", the myrobalan plant." Men-Tse-Khang

Medicine Buddha
Tibetan medicine recognizes three basic types of illness, the root causes of which are the conflicting emotions - passion, aggression and ignorance. Myrobalan is the herb in the Tibetan pharmacopoeia that can aid in healing each of these three types of diseases. This is like the action of the Buddha of Healing, who has the power to see the true cause of any affliction, whether spiritual, physical or psychological, and who does whatever is necessary to alleviate it. Ven. Thrangu Rinpoche
The Medicine Buddha is one of the five deities I have placed on my meditation shrine. Each morning, I thank the archetype for the precious medicines I have been sent for my healing, and I always make sure to include my chemotherapy as part of those healing elixirs. Then I visualize myself merging into the Medicine Buddha as he relieves the suffering of all beings and radiates compassion to all. I also recite the Medicine Buddha mantra, Tayata Om Bheganze Bheganze Maha Bheganze Radze Samudgate Soha. Although I don't consider myself a Tibetan Buddhist, I find great comfort in aligning myself with such powerful archetypal patterns and practices.

The Tibetan medicine that I get from my Tibetan amchi (physician) comes directly from the Dalai Lama's pharmacy in Dharamsala, where the herbal formulae are handmade according to centuries' old recipes. Amchi's herbs have alleviated intense burning pain related to the cancer that I have been suffering for many months, along with several other problems. When he takes my pulses and looks at my urine he has amazingly perceptive insight into what is going on inside my body. And when I begin chemo, Amchi tells me that his herbs will help my organs deal with the harmful effects of chemotherapy. I'm incredibly blessed to have a gifted Tibetan amchi treating me.





I would love to hear from you. To leave a comment about this posting, scroll down and type inside the white box below the heading, POST A COMMENT. Underneath the white box, it says Comment as: with a white bar that says Ria Moran (Google). Click the arrows on the right and a dropdown menu will appear. Choose name/URL and type in your name. The URL is not necessary. Or, if you wish, you may choose to leave a comment anonymously. Then click Post Comment in the next white box and your comment will be published. Thank you!

6 comments:

  1. Ria well done for writing on Tibetan Medicine and letting more people know about it. My book The Book Of Tibetan Medicine is now in 11 languages. Dr Dhonden has done trials in San Francisco on Tibetan Medicine and breast cancer. May you have long life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People ask me all the time, "What is Shamanic Healing?" and that is quite a hard question to answer! Is it spiritual healing? Is it emotional healing? Is it psychic healing, or like Reiki? The best answer is, Shamanic Healing is probably all of those things put together and more besides. Shamanic healing is the oldest form of healing known to man, yet is very gentle, and works at a very deep level to clear emotional problems, mental problems,
    Shamanic Healing

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed, spiritual beliefs like Tibetan Medicine rejuvenates not only our bodies but our spirits too. I really liked the extensive discussion that you gave about the Medicine Buddha. The effect of the Buddhist patron should be able to help you in your fight against cancer.

    Another emerging spiritual trend is Theta healing. The practice of Theta healing promotes a better link between humans and the creator. Through constant prayer and meditation, Theta healing would help in curing the illnesses in the body. The primal energy from the higher being can repair the body in innumerable ways.

    Hoping for continued success of your treatments. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really a nice information.Must necessary to share this blog . This will help to get full knowledge and help also for ours coming future and u also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you a lot for sharing this with all people you actually understand what you're
    speaking about! Bookmarked. Please additionally seek advice from my web site =).
    We could have a link exchange contract between us

    my page - how to lose weight fast for women

    ReplyDelete